John Reilly – Canine Behavior Consultant
Hi, I’m John Reilly, the Head Nerd at animalnerd.com. I am a Canine Behavior Consultant (CBCC-KA) with a Master of Science degree in Anthrozoology and years of experience in training and helping to rehabilitate shelter dogs, preparing them for successful adoption. Throughout my time working with dogs, I have been dismayed and somewhat frustrated by the amount of poor and misleading information that is being pushed out to the public.
This site’s goal is to be a place where current, evidence-based information on animal care, welfare and training can be hosted and exchanged – open not just about dogs, but for all species of domestic animals and wildlife.
Recent Blog Posts
- Renting with a dog? What are your rights?September 8, 2023I recently encountered a very sad and difficult situation involving a dog that had been adopted from our shelter, and returned by its devastated […]
- Increases in Dog Bites – What to Make of it?August 21, 2023I have recently been involved in several discussions regarding the increase in dog bite incidents in both the United States and United Kingdom. […]
- Temperament Testing in Animal SheltersFebruary 25, 2023I have been doing a lot of research lately about animal shelters’ use of behavioral evaluations for dogs in their care. These tools are frequently […]
- Shelter Dogs: Handling New ArrivalsCategory: UncategorizedOctober 17, 2022When a dog arrives in a shelter, he is going through an incredibly frightening and stress-filled experience. Depending on what is known about them, […]
- Behavior Modification for Shelter DogsSeptember 24, 2022As a Canine Behavior Consultant, I encounter a lot of obstacles in developing and implementing behavior modification plans for dogs that are housed […]