John Reilly – Canine Behavior Consultant
Hi, I’m John Reilly, the Head Nerd at animalnerd.com. I am a Canine Behavior Consultant (CBCC-KA) with a Master of Science degree in Anthrozoology and years of experience in training and helping to rehabilitate shelter dogs, preparing them for successful adoption. Throughout my time working with dogs, I have been dismayed and somewhat frustrated by the amount of poor and misleading information that is being pushed out to the public.
This site’s goal is to be a place where current, evidence-based information on animal care, welfare and training can be hosted and exchanged – open not just about dogs, but for all species of domestic animals and wildlife.
Recent Blog Posts
- Coyote EncountersCategory: UncategorizedOctober 23, 2021In a previous post ( Eastern Coyote Myths and Reality | The Animal Nerd ), I discussed eastern coyotes and their habits – and tried to dispel a few […]
- Dog-to-Dog ReactivityOctober 4, 2021Many of the dogs that I encounter at the shelter are overly stressed and somewhat frightened. And they sometimes come to us with, and because of, […]
- Excited Biting / Arousal BitingSeptember 28, 2021I’ve recently worked with two shelter dogs who were in danger of being deemed “unadoptable” due to their excessive mouthiness with humans. Both dogs […]
- Volunteering at a Shelter – Handling and Socializing Dogs, Part ThreeSeptember 11, 2021In my earlier post ( Volunteering at a Shelter – Handling and Socializing Dogs, Part Two | The Animal Nerd) I went through my recommended process for […]
- Help Prevent the Spread of MangeSeptember 9, 2021From Rhode Island Division of Fish and Wildlife – via Facebook www.facebook.com/RIFishwildlife/photos/a.871562866211086/4678950772138924 […]