John Reilly – Canine Behavior Consultant
Hi, I’m John Reilly, the Head Nerd at animalnerd.com. I am a Canine Behavior Consultant (CBCC-KA) with a Master of Science degree in Anthrozoology and years of experience in training and helping to rehabilitate shelter dogs, preparing them for successful adoption. Throughout my time working with dogs, I have been dismayed and somewhat frustrated by the amount of poor and misleading information that is being pushed out to the public.
This site’s goal is to be a place where current, evidence-based information on animal care, welfare and training can be hosted and exchanged – open not just about dogs, but for all species of domestic animals and wildlife.
Top Posts & Pages
Recent Blog Posts
- Just be quietJune 16, 2021One thing that I have learned from years of working with insecure, reactive and fearful shelter dogs is the value of just being quiet. Just relaxing […]
- If You Love Your Cat, Keep Him IndoorsJune 14, 2021One of the most enduring myths about our pets is that housecats need to be allowed to roam free in our neighborhoods. The fact is, they don’t. In […]
- It’s Tick Season. Protect your pets from tick-borne illnesses.June 1, 2021It’s Tick Season If you live pretty much anywhere in the United States, you are in tick country. These little parasite arachnids are not only a […]
- Recommended Summer ReadingMay 28, 2021I’ve compiled a short list of animal-related books that I strongly recommend. The first list are books that will interest and entertain people who […]
- Dominance, or Confrontational Training, in Dog OwnershipMay 22, 2021In 1947, researcher Rudolph Schenkel published a very influential study titled Expression Studies on Wolves (Schenkel, 1947), which became the basis […]