John Reilly – Canine Behavior Consultant
Hi, I’m John Reilly, the Head Nerd at animalnerd.com. I am a Canine Behavior Consultant (CBCC-KA) with a Master of Science degree in Anthrozoology and years of experience in training and helping to rehabilitate shelter dogs, preparing them for successful adoption. Throughout my time working with dogs, I have been dismayed and somewhat frustrated by the amount of poor and misleading information that is being pushed out to the public.
This site’s goal is to be a place where current, evidence-based information on animal care, welfare and training can be hosted and exchanged – open not just about dogs, but for all species of domestic animals and wildlife.
Recent Blog Posts
- Trigger Stacking – How to keep your dog from getting overwhelmed and overloaded.December 15, 2021You probably already know what trigger stacking is. If you’ve ever seen a small child have a melt-down at an event or a party, or seen a co-worker […]
- Tribute to a Dog.Category: UncategorizedNovember 30, 2021In 1855, Attorney George Vest represented a man who was suing a neighbor over the death of his dog. His trial summation has been preserved in part, […]
- He’s not your “furbaby”. He’s your friend.Category: Dog BehaviorNovember 24, 2021Your dog is not your baby, or your “furbaby”, or a dress-up doll, or a social prop, or a member of your “pack”. He’s none of those things. He is […]
- Keeping your dog out of trouble when meeting peopleNovember 17, 2021“He just came at me, with no warning!”, “All of a sudden, he just lunged at the other dog!”, “One minute, he was fine; and the next minute he was […]
- House training your new dog. Part one: Adult dogsNovember 9, 2021When you bring your new dog home, you can be certain of one thing: There will be messes in your home. Your home is a new environment for him and […]