John Reilly – Canine Behavior Consultant
Hi, I’m John Reilly, the Head Nerd at animalnerd.com. I am a Canine Behavior Consultant (CBCC-KA) with a Master of Science degree in Anthrozoology and years of experience in training and helping to rehabilitate shelter dogs, preparing them for successful adoption. Throughout my time working with dogs, I have been dismayed and somewhat frustrated by the amount of poor and misleading information that is being pushed out to the public.
This site’s goal is to be a place where current, evidence-based information on animal care, welfare and training can be hosted and exchanged – open not just about dogs, but for all species of domestic animals and wildlife.
Recent Blog Posts
- Temperament Testing in Animal SheltersCategory: Animal Shelters, Behavioral Analysis, Dog BehaviorFebruary 25, 2023I have been doing a lot of research lately about animal shelters’ use of behavioral evaluations for dogs in their care. These tools are frequently […]No Comments
- Shelter Dogs: Handling New ArrivalsCategory: UncategorizedOctober 17, 2022When a dog arrives in a shelter, he is going through an incredibly frightening and stress-filled experience. Depending on what is known about them, […]No Comments
- Behavior Modification for Shelter DogsCategory: Animal Shelters, Dog Behavior, Dog Training, UncategorizedSeptember 24, 2022As a Canine Behavior Consultant, I encounter a lot of obstacles in developing and implementing behavior modification plans for dogs that are housed […]No Comments
- Important Skills to Teach Your Dog – StayCategory: UncategorizedAugust 7, 2022In an earlier post,Dog training – the most important things to teach them. | The Animal Nerd, I discussed the need for owners to teach their dogs […]No Comments
- Critical Skills Dogs Need: Coming when calledCategory: Dog TrainingJune 26, 2022As discussed in an earlier post[i], there are several skills that dogs and owners must learn in order to live safely in our cities and towns. The […]No Comments